The Secretary Mr. Kingsley Chigbu ensures that effective records are maintained and administered by:
- Keeping up-to-date contact details (i.e. names, addresses and telephone numbers) for the management committee and (where relevant) ordinary members of the organisation.
- Filing minutes and reports
- Compiling lists of names and addresses that are useful to the organisation, including those of appropriate officials or officers of voluntary organisations.
- Keeping a record of the organisation’s activities
- Keeping a diary of future activities
Mr. Kingsley Chigbu helps the organization to upholding all legal requirements by:
- Acting as custodian of the organisation’s governing documents
- Checking quorum is present at meetings
- Ensuring elections are in line with stipulated procedures
- Ensuring organisation’s activities are in line with its objects
- Ensuring charity and company law requirements are met (where relevant, unless there is a separate company secretary)
- Sitting on appraisal, recruitment and disciplinary panels, as required.
During meetings, the secretary makes sure that meeting is effectively organized and minuted by:
- Liaising with the Chair to plan meetings
- Receiving agenda items from committee members
- Circulating agendas and reports
- Taking minutes (unless there is a minutes secretary)
- Circulating approved minutes
- Checking that agreed actions are carried out.
The secretary maintains effective communication internally and externally by:
- Responding to all committee correspondence
- filing all committee correspondence received and copies of replies sent
- keeping a record of any of the organisation’s publications (e.g. leaflets or newsletters) and
- reporting the activities of the organisation and future programes to members, the press and the public (unless there is an Information or Publicity Officer).
- Preparing a report of the organisation’s activities for the year, for the Annual General Meeting.